Skip to main content

Guys and Dolls

After giving a presentation on falconry up in The Woodlands along with Nick and Mike, I hurried back to get Farrah out to the field. She has caught  a couple of squirrels, but she grabbed a third, lost it grabbed it again, and came home with bites and no squirrel. So it's back to the open fields for her even if there's not a whole lot to chase. 

We got there pretty late, but I coaxed her into chasing a couple of fast sparrows, which she cannot catch but at least keeps her interested. 

Right at sundown, she flew back to the box which I stash by the the same tree each time I come out here. It's kind of interesting that after flying three male birds, and two females, that their behavior late in the day seems to have a gender bias to it. My Red-shouldered Hawk right at sundown would drop off the t-pole and would refuse to hunt after that. She would be right at my feet, but if I put her back on the t-pole she would just drop to the ground again. Farrah seems to do the same thing right at sundown except instead of dropping off the t-pole she flies back to her buzzard box and she's done. Yes I can call her back to the fist, and put her back on the t-pole but she's done hunting and will quickly fly back to the box.
The males I've flown happily hunted past sundown. This includes Cisco.

Another gender quirk is coming out of the box when it sits on the washing machine with the door open. BB, Dart, and Cisco would get out of there whenever they felt like it. BB and Dart almost instantly any time, Cisco only when there's a good reason. Farrah never. When Farrah is riding in the box in the Honda, she always wants to get out of the box if the door is open and then sit on the passenger seat. The Red-shouldered Hawk hated the box in any context. She would only sit on a seat. But Farrah has ridden thousands of miles sitting on a perch on the back of the seat that I made for her. But I don't do that anymore.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always hunt on the way back to the vehicle

 After a solid hour of chasing I got bored and was ready to call it. This is the 9th team squirrel, 7th for Cisco. It took five hunts, six outings, and about seven hunting hours since squirrel #6... That was 11/23 and he had been deadly for a week or two previously. Cisco was getting his ass beat over and over again today.  But one of my maxims is always hunt on your way back to the car. I was bored and ready to call it good. Cisco knocked this rascal off the tree fell right on top of it. https://youtu.be/oW97Xm9dl6A?si=tdiCv67stwvEHL8X

A mid-November update

It's been a while since I've posted, mostly because my two buzzards have been adapting to the warm weather and high weight. The last week or so, both of them have hit their strides on squirrels, with Cisco taking four or five, and Farrah taking a couple also.  Yesterday evening maybe a half hour before sunset, about 10 grams heavy, Cisco searched relentlessly but without much fire. He took a couple of high-weight shots at squirrels, but not too impressive. I hunted my way back to the Honda figuring we were done. He quit following, nabbed a squirrel and was hanging upside down for a while. I wasn't sure he would hold it.... Kudos to him.   I took out Farrah today and she was steadily looking; we were out of total of a couple of hours. At one point she grabbed a cat squirrel in sort of a brushy trunk tree, lost it on the way down, then grabbed it on the ground, and lost it again. When Cisco comes to the ground with a squirrel, I expect him to hang on to it most of the time....