Skip to main content

Training the austringer

There has been very little quarry around Houston for Farrah to catch. Each season I try to get her on squirrels because she has such great ability in the trees. But after a few outings the squirrels always start having lunch on her feet and I move away from that. This season she caught a couple of them and later lost one that munched up her feet. 

So it's out to the open fields where there are no game birds and no rabbits around Houston. The heat this fall is just atrocious. 

This morning I got up about 0400, with the expectation of going down to Iowa colony and chasing game birds with her. On the way down there I could tell it was too warm, so I went to Bass Pro shops instead. She followed on very poorly and stayed on the t perch for only short periods of time before she started working on my training. She found a nasty looking truck parked nearby and landed on it. Into the bag I  went, pulled out a chicken and called her the fist. This exercise worked really well for her. After she ate the little bit I gave her, she headed back to that truck even though we were farther away. 

While we were at Bass Pro Shop she put in a decent chase on a lark, and chased a couple of fast sparrows. Overall, it was just muggy and too warm. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always hunt on the way back to the vehicle

 After a solid hour of chasing I got bored and was ready to call it. This is the 9th team squirrel, 7th for Cisco. It took five hunts, six outings, and about seven hunting hours since squirrel #6... That was 11/23 and he had been deadly for a week or two previously. Cisco was getting his ass beat over and over again today.  But one of my maxims is always hunt on your way back to the car. I was bored and ready to call it good. Cisco knocked this rascal off the tree fell right on top of it. https://youtu.be/oW97Xm9dl6A?si=tdiCv67stwvEHL8X

A mid-November update

It's been a while since I've posted, mostly because my two buzzards have been adapting to the warm weather and high weight. The last week or so, both of them have hit their strides on squirrels, with Cisco taking four or five, and Farrah taking a couple also.  Yesterday evening maybe a half hour before sunset, about 10 grams heavy, Cisco searched relentlessly but without much fire. He took a couple of high-weight shots at squirrels, but not too impressive. I hunted my way back to the Honda figuring we were done. He quit following, nabbed a squirrel and was hanging upside down for a while. I wasn't sure he would hold it.... Kudos to him.   I took out Farrah today and she was steadily looking; we were out of total of a couple of hours. At one point she grabbed a cat squirrel in sort of a brushy trunk tree, lost it on the way down, then grabbed it on the ground, and lost it again. When Cisco comes to the ground with a squirrel, I expect him to hang on to it most of the time....