Skip to main content

Probably done.....

 A successful season is ending it with the buzzards healthy and having caught some game. 25/26 was a successful season..... Unfortunately, I had to retire Arnold as he's just getting old. He's slow, limping some, but generally ok. 

The heat has beaten me this year. Each year it seems to gets a bit warmer, which corresponds to worldwide measurements. It's been an odd season. There were no field birds, with Farrah catching only one. I took her to the woods after considering releasing her. Her modest number of catches, eleven, resulted in her best squirrel season ever. She contributed to the season total, which would have been respectable for a single buzzard. I hunted a lot, nearly daily, and often twice. Cisco was deadly in late December, then struggled big time after January 1. Farrah picked up some of slack, and was often a lot of fun. Their styles on squirrels are so different.

There was a lot of ground cover, a significant change from last season, and getting good ambush setups was difficult. I retired Arnold the dog last fall. He's now just too old. Sad.

Odd things happened this season. Late last fall when I was trying to hunt with Farrah in the open fields she spotted a big female Great-horned Owl which she robbed of its catch. This eagle owl could have eaten Farrah like a baby chick. When I finally caught up with Farrah, she was stuck about six feet high in a brushy tree holding on to the remains of the catch, an adult Cooper's Hawk, probably killed the night before. I'm glad that owl didn't decide to take both.......

On another day Cisco robbed a wild adult Red-tail of its squirrel catch. It took a good forty-five minutes to track him down in the palmetto infested terrain. He was under one, eating the remains of a squirrel that he did not catch.....  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always hunt on the way back to the vehicle

 After a solid hour of chasing I got bored and was ready to call it. This is the 9th team squirrel, 7th for Cisco. It took five hunts, six outings, and about seven hunting hours since squirrel #6... That was 11/23 and he had been deadly for a week or two previously. Cisco was getting his ass beat over and over again today.  But one of my maxims is always hunt on your way back to the car. I was bored and ready to call it good. Cisco knocked this rascal off the tree fell right on top of it. https://youtu.be/oW97Xm9dl6A?si=tdiCv67stwvEHL8X

A mid-November update

It's been a while since I've posted, mostly because my two buzzards have been adapting to the warm weather and high weight. The last week or so, both of them have hit their strides on squirrels, with Cisco taking four or five, and Farrah taking a couple also.  Yesterday evening maybe a half hour before sunset, about 10 grams heavy, Cisco searched relentlessly but without much fire. He took a couple of high-weight shots at squirrels, but not too impressive. I hunted my way back to the Honda figuring we were done. He quit following, nabbed a squirrel and was hanging upside down for a while. I wasn't sure he would hold it.... Kudos to him.   I took out Farrah today and she was steadily looking; we were out of total of a couple of hours. At one point she grabbed a cat squirrel in sort of a brushy trunk tree, lost it on the way down, then grabbed it on the ground, and lost it again. When Cisco comes to the ground with a squirrel, I expect him to hang on to it most of the time....