Skip to main content

Arnold's Retirement

The date was actually December 14, 2025. At the time, I didn't realize that it was likely Arnold's last hunt. Arnold was part and parcel of this team for a decade. He started out being a pain, where I had to carry him across rivulets, but progressed to being  super mobile. Early on, he'd wander off, get lost, etc. Sometimes he chased feral hogs, hence the radio collar and electric shock collar....But he got better and better, and probably made the difference in a half dozen squirrels each season, plus he was our buddy. Right through last season he was good, but since the summer he's slowed down a lot. I don't remember too much about this particular hunt, except he was with us. 

Arnold and Cisco keyed off each other sometimes, and Arnold would always bark frantically when Cisco grabbed a squirrel up in a tree.  More to come.......





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always hunt on the way back to the vehicle

 After a solid hour of chasing I got bored and was ready to call it. This is the 9th team squirrel, 7th for Cisco. It took five hunts, six outings, and about seven hunting hours since squirrel #6... That was 11/23 and he had been deadly for a week or two previously. Cisco was getting his ass beat over and over again today.  But one of my maxims is always hunt on your way back to the car. I was bored and ready to call it good. Cisco knocked this rascal off the tree fell right on top of it. https://youtu.be/oW97Xm9dl6A?si=tdiCv67stwvEHL8X

A mid-November update

It's been a while since I've posted, mostly because my two buzzards have been adapting to the warm weather and high weight. The last week or so, both of them have hit their strides on squirrels, with Cisco taking four or five, and Farrah taking a couple also.  Yesterday evening maybe a half hour before sunset, about 10 grams heavy, Cisco searched relentlessly but without much fire. He took a couple of high-weight shots at squirrels, but not too impressive. I hunted my way back to the Honda figuring we were done. He quit following, nabbed a squirrel and was hanging upside down for a while. I wasn't sure he would hold it.... Kudos to him.   I took out Farrah today and she was steadily looking; we were out of total of a couple of hours. At one point she grabbed a cat squirrel in sort of a brushy trunk tree, lost it on the way down, then grabbed it on the ground, and lost it again. When Cisco comes to the ground with a squirrel, I expect him to hang on to it most of the time....