Skip to main content

Cisco day four: Boring, too warm - worth doing

When I got over to the woods, Cisco took off but then he screamed. Usually that's a Red-tail. But today it was a smaller buzzard like a Red-shoulder or Broad-wing. Maybe juvenile. It was a huge distraction. I moved a squirrel that Cisco saw and it was chaseable. He ignored it. 

Still Cisco got in some flying which is good. He was not following well, way too warm, and he was a little bit over his flying weight, but actually a little lower than I'd like to keep him these days. Farrah may be one feather away from dropping all 32 major feathers. It's also possible that she's done. She may have one dry socket in a primary, I'm not sure. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always hunt on the way back to the vehicle

 After a solid hour of chasing I got bored and was ready to call it. This is the 9th team squirrel, 7th for Cisco. It took five hunts, six outings, and about seven hunting hours since squirrel #6... That was 11/23 and he had been deadly for a week or two previously. Cisco was getting his ass beat over and over again today.  But one of my maxims is always hunt on your way back to the car. I was bored and ready to call it good. Cisco knocked this rascal off the tree fell right on top of it. https://youtu.be/oW97Xm9dl6A?si=tdiCv67stwvEHL8X

A mid-November update

It's been a while since I've posted, mostly because my two buzzards have been adapting to the warm weather and high weight. The last week or so, both of them have hit their strides on squirrels, with Cisco taking four or five, and Farrah taking a couple also.  Yesterday evening maybe a half hour before sunset, about 10 grams heavy, Cisco searched relentlessly but without much fire. He took a couple of high-weight shots at squirrels, but not too impressive. I hunted my way back to the Honda figuring we were done. He quit following, nabbed a squirrel and was hanging upside down for a while. I wasn't sure he would hold it.... Kudos to him.   I took out Farrah today and she was steadily looking; we were out of total of a couple of hours. At one point she grabbed a cat squirrel in sort of a brushy trunk tree, lost it on the way down, then grabbed it on the ground, and lost it again. When Cisco comes to the ground with a squirrel, I expect him to hang on to it most of the time....