Skip to main content

Hunting weight and cooler weather

Beginning on 11/11 Cisco had a mini streak catching three cat squirrels on three consecutive hunts. In my exuberance I overfed him a little on the 15th. He was an ounce high the morning I took him next to hunt. I took him out later that day; he was better weightwise and he caught a squirrel. His theoretical ideal weight is 900 g. See the chart below.


Cisco was absolutely masterful today, hunting steadily for about 40 minutes, before he found the perfect squirrel which he nailed. He stayed up in the tree top with it for a long time, killing it very quickly up there I believe. He's now caught five squirrels since November 11th. 

Check out this little YouTube clip here: 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always hunt on the way back to the vehicle

 After a solid hour of chasing I got bored and was ready to call it. This is the 9th team squirrel, 7th for Cisco. It took five hunts, six outings, and about seven hunting hours since squirrel #6... That was 11/23 and he had been deadly for a week or two previously. Cisco was getting his ass beat over and over again today.  But one of my maxims is always hunt on your way back to the car. I was bored and ready to call it good. Cisco knocked this rascal off the tree fell right on top of it. https://youtu.be/oW97Xm9dl6A?si=tdiCv67stwvEHL8X

A mid-November update

It's been a while since I've posted, mostly because my two buzzards have been adapting to the warm weather and high weight. The last week or so, both of them have hit their strides on squirrels, with Cisco taking four or five, and Farrah taking a couple also.  Yesterday evening maybe a half hour before sunset, about 10 grams heavy, Cisco searched relentlessly but without much fire. He took a couple of high-weight shots at squirrels, but not too impressive. I hunted my way back to the Honda figuring we were done. He quit following, nabbed a squirrel and was hanging upside down for a while. I wasn't sure he would hold it.... Kudos to him.   I took out Farrah today and she was steadily looking; we were out of total of a couple of hours. At one point she grabbed a cat squirrel in sort of a brushy trunk tree, lost it on the way down, then grabbed it on the ground, and lost it again. When Cisco comes to the ground with a squirrel, I expect him to hang on to it most of the time....