Skip to main content

Update mid February

Cisco has been struggling a bit since the beginning of 2026, mostly related to the odd vegetation and poor setups I believe. He's taken only a few squirrels over twenty hunts. Ahead of some really nasty weather late yesterday he caught one. The crash sound was amazing. Then Joe Manby and I couldn't find him even though the receiver was giving a good signal. I wondered if Cisco might be dead. Tracking a bird on the ground coupled with major bias as to where he "had to be" made a very stressful half hour at least.  Ultimately I found him trying to eat a squirrel under a live oak way out in the open. Cisco broke primaries #3, #4, and #5 on the left side. #3 and #4 primaries had already been broken and imped by Jim Ince. The repairs held up, but both feathers broke again anyway.  

A great picture....

Farrah is tied for her all time season record, and has helped contribute to the squirrel catch. 
The pictures below are representative....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Always hunt on the way back to the vehicle

 After a solid hour of chasing I got bored and was ready to call it. This is the 9th team squirrel, 7th for Cisco. It took five hunts, six outings, and about seven hunting hours since squirrel #6... That was 11/23 and he had been deadly for a week or two previously. Cisco was getting his ass beat over and over again today.  But one of my maxims is always hunt on your way back to the car. I was bored and ready to call it good. Cisco knocked this rascal off the tree fell right on top of it. https://youtu.be/oW97Xm9dl6A?si=tdiCv67stwvEHL8X

A mid-November update

It's been a while since I've posted, mostly because my two buzzards have been adapting to the warm weather and high weight. The last week or so, both of them have hit their strides on squirrels, with Cisco taking four or five, and Farrah taking a couple also.  Yesterday evening maybe a half hour before sunset, about 10 grams heavy, Cisco searched relentlessly but without much fire. He took a couple of high-weight shots at squirrels, but not too impressive. I hunted my way back to the Honda figuring we were done. He quit following, nabbed a squirrel and was hanging upside down for a while. I wasn't sure he would hold it.... Kudos to him.   I took out Farrah today and she was steadily looking; we were out of total of a couple of hours. At one point she grabbed a cat squirrel in sort of a brushy trunk tree, lost it on the way down, then grabbed it on the ground, and lost it again. When Cisco comes to the ground with a squirrel, I expect him to hang on to it most of the time....